Sunday, July 1, 2018

Arriving in Istanbul

The flight is almost over.  Business class on Turkish airlines is pretty nice although I would feel churlish complaining about anything.  The flight left at 6:15 and I was asleep and well fed by 8.  I woke up around four am when the lights came on in the cabin and the flight attendants started serving breakfast.  We’re now being asked to return to our seats “due to weather conditions.”

Business class dinners are quite prolonged,  and I can’t remember the last time I was able to make it through all the courses.  Last night I ate a lot of shrimp appetizers,  zucchini soup and swordfish,  with white Turkish wine from Cappadocia.  The attendant brought me a quilt to attach to the seat and another to nestle under,  and with a narrow but flat bed to sleep on I had pleasant dreams lulled to sleep by the restful melody called “airplane cabin.”  Usually I sleep to “wind in the trees” but jet engines are also soothing.

I couldn’t eat much breakfast.  Larry appears to be doing fine,  except for a telltale smear of chocolate ice cream on his shirt.  We will land soonish in Istanbul,  then transfer to a plane to Belgrade.  Larry says he’s doing just fine, thank you. 😊

Now it’s a bit later and we’re waiting on the Turkish Airlines plane to take us to Belgrade.  The plane is full of a sports team in turquoise shirts all of whom seem to be about seven feet tall.  The descent into Istanbul was really interesting.  Looking out my window I saw the emerald coast bays which Larry and I explored in a gulet back in 2016 and then the thousands upon thousands of apartment buildings and hundreds of boats leaving white trails in the water.  The Istanbul airport is very small and crowded.  All the planes seem to park out on the tarmac and passengers are transported in buses.  It was really hard to move around in the terminal because of the crowds,  but walking distances were short. I bought a couple bottles of water and a plate of three little pistachio baklavas!  After all,  we were in Turkey,  albeit briefly.

It looks like we get a nice dinner on this flight, too.  Larry says he’s tired.  Unlike me,  he didn’t sleep enough last night on the plane.


No comments:

Post a Comment